We just returned from the Apple Store this evening and we are trying to activate our iPhones. Here are some of the issues we've encountered so far:
AT&T iPhone activation support
iPhone Support Website
iPhone User Guide
iPhone Customer Support Forums
AT&T iPhone Support Forum
MacRumors iPhone Forum
Apple iPhone Support Forum
Howard Forums for iPhone
1. iTunes 7.3 -- Before you activate your iPhone, make sure you upgrade your Mac OS X so that you can install the new iTunes. If your are a Windows Customer, make sure you download the latest iTunes.
2. Phone Bill -- If you plan on porting your numbers from another carrier or are a Cingular customer, make sure you have your account number from your phone bill and your password (let's hope you know what it is).
3. iPhone will not work until Activated -- In order to do anything on the iPhone, you must activate it first which requires selecting your cell phone plan. This also means that you are unable to play with it before transferring or porting your old number, which could take up to 6 hours or longer.
4. AT&T Wireless (not Cingular Customer) -- We had to call AT&T Customer Service to assist us with the activation (only a 45 minute wait). Since we were not an Cingular customer, the rep had to manually change our plan over from the old AT&T Wireless (not Cingular) before we could activate our phones.
5. iTunes Apple ID -- Make sure you have your Apple ID or your iTunes user name and password.
6. Activation Busy Try Again Message -- We received this message on our iMac and tried multiple times and finally gave up. I really hate to say this, but it worked on our three Microsoft Windows Machines without a failure.
7. Microsoft Outlook iTunes Plug-in Disabled -- After installing iTunes 7.3, the iTunes Outlook Plug-in was disabled and Outlook crashed. You can re-enable it in Outlook by clicking About, Help, Disabled Programs.
8. Activation Submitted -- When your activation is successfully submitted, you will receive an email.
9. Don't Take your iPhone Out of its Cradle -- When waiting for activation which could be as long as 6 hours or more, don't take your iPhone out of its cradle according to the activation specialist we spoke to on the phone. You need to wait to receive a second email notifying you that your activation has been completed.
iPhone Activation Video